Fatal Motorcycle Accidents

Miami Lawyers for Surviving Family Members of Vehicle Collision Victims

Crashes involving motorcycles are notoriously dangerous, with more than 80 percent of these accidents resulting in a victim’s serious injury or a fatality. Unfortunately, many of these fatal crashes occur in South Florida, and are due to another motorist’s negligent actions on the road. Miami motorcycle accident attorney Robert Dixon of the Law Offices of Robert Dixon help families who have lost loved ones in a devastating collision pursue legal action against those responsible. Although no amount of compensation can make up for the loss of a family member’s life, it is important not only to help with the costs of outstanding medical bills and funereal expenses, but also in making sure the liable party is held accountable. Our firm assists clients throughout South Florida, including in Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach Counties by offering experienced and compassionate legal representation throughout the entire duration of a claim. If you have questions about your legal options in the aftermath of a deadly motorcycle crash, please contact our office today to speak with an attorney and set up a free consultation regarding your potential case.

Fatal Motorcycle Accidents in Florida

Due to the size and structure of a motorcycle, the possibility of injury or death when it is involved in a collision is higher than in cases involving other motor vehicles, even if it is a single-vehicle crash. In fact, there is an 80 percent chance of injury or death due to a motorcycle accident, versus the 20 percent chance of this outcome in a standard-sized car accident. A 2017 survey conducted by AAA reported that one-sixth of motorcyclists in Florida lacked proper insurance, and one out of every seven riders did not wear helmets when on their bikes. Florida does not require motorcycle riders over the age of 21, with certain insurance, to wear helmets. When motorcycle drivers or passengers fail to wear safety gear, the chances of an accident becoming fatal rise. Even with proper protection, these riders are at risk for serious injury or death. Some common causes of fatal motorcycle accidents include:

  • Other motorists’ failure to yield to a motorcycle’s right of way.
  • Drivers distracted by their phones or another device.
  • Inclement weather, such as heavy rain.
  • Drivers failing to look for oncoming motorcyclists when changing lanes or making other maneuvers in traffic.

When another motorist has acted negligently and caused a motorcyclist’s death, he or she should be held legally accountable.

Legal Action for Families Who Have Lost Loved Ones

Under Florida's Wrongful Death Act, certain relatives such as a victim’s children, spouse, parents, or other dependents can file a wrongful death suit against a responsible party in order to receive compensation for medical expenses related to a victim’s injury prior to his or her death, as well as loss of wages, funeral and burial costs, or loss of support and companionship. These claims are based on the legal theory of negligence, which occurs when a defendant has breached his or her duty of care to act as a reasonable and prudent driver, causing an accident and therefore a victim’s death, resulting in damages. For instance, a motorist who fails to check a blind spot for an oncoming motorcyclist before changing lanes, or who is driving aggressively in order to pass a motorcycle, could be found to have acted unreasonably under the circumstances. Losing a loved one suddenly is a devastating experience, and the aftermath of a deadly accident is an emotional time, where families should focus on grieving. Consulting a knowledgeable motorcycle accident lawyer who can help you protect your legal rights is also important. Florida imposes a statute of limitations of two years from the time of a victim’s death by which these cases must be filed.

Contact a Seasoned Miami Attorney Following a Fatal Motorcycle Accident

Robert Dixon and his staff at the Law Offices of Robert Dixon assist victims and their families in the aftermath of serious and fatal accidents. The financial impact of such a loss can be significant, and we work tirelessly to hold those responsible for your harm legally accountable. If you’ve lost a family member in a motorcycle collision and need help dealing with an insurance company or pursuing legal action, please call 877.499.4878 or contact us online today to schedule a free, no obligation consultation. We serve clients in communities including Miami, and West Palm Beach.

Client Reviews
"Thank you to Robert Dixon & Kristopher Torres for an amazing experience handling with my first injury lawsuit. Very much hassle-free and down to earth experience working with this law firm. I would definitely use them again! My case was settled and I am satisfied with the results! Glad to have them fighting on my behalf." Diamond Epps
"This firm goes out of there way to make sure all of your needs are met. They are wonderful and within a year, my settlement was reached. In addition, I never waited more than a couple hours for someone to get back with me. I highly suggest this firm." Melissa Ellis
"I had the pleasure of working with attorney Torres when I was involved in a car accident last year. He was always checking up on me, always making sure that I was getting the proper treatment that I needed. Whenever I called the office everyone was so nice and willing to help me. I'm glad he was my attorney and thank you for such a wonderful service from you and your firm." Natalie J.
"I'd like to say that the Law Office of Robert Dixon has been great to work with since the inception of my case back in 2016. Robert and team made me feel rest assured that patience would constitute a much larger settlement and that truly was the case. ... I highly recommend this law firm for anyone needing help from a very compassionate team of hard workers. Thanks again everyone for this positive experience as this was my first time ever dealing with the courts or a law firm...." Paul Carlson
"Jodie, Jennifer and the WHOLE Team are AWESOME! Everyone I have spoken to, have been very professional, patient and kind. The ladies take their time to ensure you understand everything that is happening every step of the way. Each time I would have a question, they were available via e-mail or a quick phone call." Nathalie Perez