Improper Merging Accidents

Car Crash Lawyers Representing Victims in Miami

Merging onto a crowded highway, re-entering traffic from a parking space, or otherwise joining a new road with a different traveling speed may be dangerous. The failure of a driver to pay proper attention to other vehicles or road conditions may lead to serious injuries for several victims. The Miami car accident attorneys at the Law Offices of Robert Dixon can assist people who have been harmed by a driver who improperly merged into traffic without taking proper precautions. We are dedicated to making sure that South Florida residents injured by negligent drivers have the financial resources to cover the costs of their recovery process and other expenses.

Causes of Improper Merging Accidents

Drivers entering a highway or another road from a connecting route are tasked with the responsibility of checking to ensure that they may do so safely. Moreover, drivers who speed up in the vicinity of a vehicle entering a road create unnecessary risks for those around them. A variety of situations may give rise to an improper merging accident, including:

  • Suddenly maneuvering from a parking space into traffic;
  • Failing to signal when attempting to merge;
  • Merging too slowly to accommodate moving traffic from an onramp onto a highway; or
  • Distracted driving that consists of failing to check for surrounding vehicles.

These are only some of the situations that may lead to severe injuries to not only motorists but also pedestrians and bicyclists.

Holding a Careless Driver Responsible for Your Injuries

A driver’s negligence is most often the cause of an improper merging accident. To establish negligence and recover compensation for their injuries, a victim must prove that the defendant breached the duty of reasonable care, which caused the injuries and resulting damages. Drivers merging into oncoming traffic have a responsibility to take reasonable precautions to avoid a collision, such as using a blinker, traveling at a proper speed, and being aware of their surroundings. Similarly, drivers traveling on a highway have a duty to act reasonably as well, refraining from aggressive behaviors such as trying to speed up and pass a merging vehicle. If negligence has been proven, a victim may receive compensation for the medical costs associated with their injuries, lost income and earning capacity, pain and suffering, repairs to their vehicle, and other damages.

When a victim is injured in part due to their own negligent actions, they may still receive compensation from another responsible party. Florida, following a pure comparative fault scheme of damages awards, allows compensation in proportion to each party’s degree of fault. For instance, in a collision for which one driver is found 60 percent at fault because they increased speed to avoid letting a merging car in front of them, while the other driver is found 40 percent at fault for failing to signal, both drivers may recover compensation for their injuries in an amount that is offset by their own percentage of fault.

Seek Legal Guidance from a Car Accident Attorney in the Miami Area

Injuries sustained in car crashes may have long-term, sometimes permanent consequences. The Miami car accident lawyers at the Law Offices of Robert Dixon are committed to making sure that parties liable for those costs pay their fair share. If you or a loved one has been injured in an improper merging accident, call (877) 499-4878 or contact us online for a free, no-obligation consultation to see how we can help. Our motor vehicle collision attorneys also represent people in Fort Lauderdale, West Palm Beach, and other cities in Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach Counties.