Internal Injuries in Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcyclists are arguably the most susceptible to catastrophic injuries when involved in a motor vehicle accident. Among these most serious injuries are internal ones. Internal injuries in motorcycle accidents are also harder to diagnose than others, which can lead to further complications for victims. These types of injuries also require complex treatment and vast financial costs associated with them. Miami motorcycle accident attorney Robert Dixon assists victims with these injuries pursue the proper legal action against responsible parties. Often, it is another driver’s negligence that leads to a motorcycle collision. In these situations, a personal injury claim is necessary so that victims have the resources they need to recover damages to assist in their recovery. At the Law Offices of Robert Dixon, we are dedicated to making sure our clients’ rights are zealously advocated for throughout the duration of the entire legal process. We represent individuals injured in Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach Counties, and across the entire South Florida area. If you need legal guidance after sustaining internal injuries in a motorcycle accident, please contact our office today to set up a free consultation for more information about our services.Internal Injuries in Motorcycle Accidents
One of the obstacles in proper diagnoses and treatment of internal injuries in motorcycle accidents is that the symptoms are sometimes seemingly unrelated to internal harm. Internal bleeding might present with pain, but it also could cause symptoms like fatigue, thirst, confusion, and difficulty breathing. Some symptoms may not even appear until days, or even weeks, following an accident. Due to such incongruities, it is important that victims of a motorcycle crash not only seek immediate medical attention, but also report any and all symptoms they may have, regardless of whether they believe it to be related.
Motorcycle accident victims can suffer a wide array of internal injuries. This is especially true when a victim is ejected from their vehicle. Some of the most common internal injuries include:
- Broken and fractured ribs
- Internal bleeding
- Intestinal perforations
- Brain bleeds and traumatic brain injuries
- Abdominal aorta aneurysm
- Punctured or collapsed lungs
- Other injuries to organs such as damage to the liver or kidney
Internal injuries are life-threatening when not diagnosed or treated properly. If a victim’s injury, or death, is caused by another party’s negligence, that party is legally liable and should be held accountable in court.Holding Negligent Parties Accountable
Negligence must be proven before a motorcycle accident victim is awarded damages for their injuries. Negligence occurs when a party has breached the duty of reasonable care owed to the plaintiff. Breaches can take a variety of forms, including distracted driving practices, speeding, aggressive maneuvers, and others. Too many drivers fail to yield the right of way to motorcyclists, or do not take proper actions to look for motorcyclists on the road. When these negligent acts cause another’s injury or death, and lead to damages, that is negligence.
In Florida, all culpable parties are held responsible for their own actions. Under the pure comparative fault theory of liability, a motorcyclist who is also negligent in causing his or her own injuries, bears part of the blame. However, this does not mean all damages are barred. Victims are awarded an amount of compensation in proportion to their degree of fault. Therefore, even if a victim is found to be 65 percent liable, other negligent parties can be held responsible for the remaining 35 percent of damages.
Treatment for internal injuries usually mean repeated trips to the doctor, surgery, as well as time missed from work. As such, victims may be entitled to compensation for past and future medical expenses, lost income, any changes in their ability to make a living, as well as pain and suffering in some cases.Contact an Experienced Lawyer in Miami
Seeking knowledgeable and experienced legal advice following injuries incurred in a serious motorcycle accident is an important step in ensuring your legal rights are protected. Attorney Robert Dixon is available to answer the legal questions you might have in the aftermath of a devastating collision. Our lawyers are committed to assisting clients in ensuring they get the proper compensation to deal with their recovery. Please call our Miami office at (877) 499-4878 or contact us online today to schedule a free, no obligation consultation regarding your potential claims.